Monday, June 3, 2013

Get Outside!

I realize it has been a long while since I have written a blog, I apologize. School and work take a lot out of a person. It’s crazy how I have been go-go-go, nonstop for the past 9 months or so, and here I am sitting on a couch, bored as ever. To catch ya’ll up… 

I successfully survived this past semester of school, not so much flying colors, but I’m alive. May term was a blast! I took a class called Outdoor Leadership, so essentially, we learned about how to be a leader, but in the outdoor setting. To exercise our outdoor leadership, we, a class of 10 and two leaders, went on a backpacking trip in Southern Utah, more specifically in the San Rafael Swell. It was a life changing experience.

There is something about falling asleep under the stars, no city lights, no cars in the distance, then waking up with the sun, to see a canyon and the desert surrounding you. I believe that there may be a bit of bragging rights to being able to walk 14 miles in three days with 60 pounds on your back. As you can see by these pictures, it was hard to keep my eyes on the ground in front of me. If you know me, you know that not being able to look at the uneven ground in front of me meant I stumbled quite a bit…
                                


The lesson I have to teach today is that you must try backpacking once in your life. The sooner, the better, because you will want to go again. People may complain about some aspects of living outdoors, such as “relieving” yourself outside, but to be honest it is exhilarating! If you don’t go backpacking, I even more recommend digging a hole in a place with a great view (obviously away from other people), and enjoy it. :) Although, I did not enjoy the treating of our river water, but by the end of the three days, it began to taste like normal water.

It's all about having fun with friends. >fun at camp with Rodrigo
Our cloudy river water, after treatment, but made a great lantern.

Here's to the outdoors, let's keep them classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment